Thursday, January 3, 2008

I swear I'm not on drugs...

For some reason I was thinking about that movie "The Outsiders" tonight and I thought of the poem that is read in it. So I figured I'd put it up on here and give my take on it. (it's one of my favorites.)

Nothing Gold Can Stay by: Robert Frost

Natures first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold
Her early leaf's a flower
But only so an hour

Then leaf subsides to leaf
So eden sank to grief
So dawn goes down to day
Nothing gold can stay

My take on it:
Our childhood years are some of the greatest years we'll ever have (our first experiences were gold)
It is hard for us to hang on to our childhood
I believe the flower represents the innocence of childhood
and as we look back on child hood, it seams like it went by so fast.

our innocence is shed to take on maturity (leaf subsides to leaf)
What was once laughter and happiness is now sadness and bitterness (eden sinking to grief)
As we get older
We can not keep living in our past (our golden time).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very profound :)

Vicki said...

That doesn't sound like you're on drugs. It sounds like you took the poem apart and gave the real meaning of it. Very good! I guess you're smarter than I thought you were.